Myanmar offers tremendous business opportunities for U.S. exports of medical device, equipment and supplies. Myanmar’s private health sector depends on imported medical equipment and supplies to meet the increasing local demand for high-quality health services.
In Myanmar, there are no specific laws governing medical & IVD devices,and laboratory diagnostic testing in Myanmar. Such matters generally come under the cosmetics and medical device section of the FDA, through powers under the Public Health Law 1972.
In order to import the medical devices and cosmetics, you need an FDA recommendation.
- Burma’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced new food import/export regulations to improve consumer safety and satisfaction.
- In 2019, the FDA implemented an online system for cosmetics and drug import registration, saving time and reducing the risks of favoritism.
Challenges in Myanmar
Along with opportunities there are significant challenges with the Mynamar healthcare industry. These include
- Poor public health insurance coverage
- Weak enforcement of rules and regulations particularly related to the health care sector, and
- a Shortage of healthcare providers.
Regulatory authority for registering medical device in Myanmar
Regulatory authority for medical device in Myanmar is the Myanmar Food & Drug Administartion.
The Myanmar follows the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Medical Device Directive (AMDD) classification of medical devices follows
What is interesting in Myanmar is Health care IT, e-health, and mobile medical applications are not specifically regulated, and there is no specific regulation for product marking requirements of medical devices.
Currently, foreign manufacturers can only import ,distribute and sell 24 categories of products in Myanmar. These include medicinal products, medical devices and hospital equipment. Howvere they shall obtain the a wholesale/retail licence (Ministry of Commerce Notification 25/2018).
Classification of medical device in Myanmar
Medical devices in Myanmar are classified in as Class A, B, C, D in accordance with risk classification rules. (Risk Classification Rules for Medical Devices other than IVD Devices) and (Risk Classification Rules for IVD Devices):
- Based on the risk associated with the medical device, you need to first classify the medical device class before initiating any process of registration.
- If you are a local representative in Myanmar, you need to appoint an Authorized Representative.
- Prepare the technical documentation as per the requirements of the Myanmar FDA and submit to FDA.
- Once approved by the Myanmar FDA, the medical device can be marketed in Myanmar.
Documents Required for medical device registration
The required documents for medical devices vary based on the class of medical device. However, in general these are the following documents that the Myanmat FDA seek for
- Letter of authorization from a foreign manufacturer
- Free sale or export certificate from country of origin
- Manufacturing license or GMP certificate
- ISO certificate
- Manufacturing flow chart
- Certificate of analysis for product sample
- Business license/certificate of incorporation of local representative
- Technical Documents
ISO 13485 is the applicable Quality Management Sytems for medical devices. ISO 13485:2016 specifies requirements for a quality management system where an organization needs to demonstrate its ability to provide medical devices and related services that consistently meet customer and applicable regulatory requirements.
For registration of medical device in Myanmar, you need a local representative who will be a legal representative for all regulatory works
The validity of medical device will be of 5 years.
Do You Need Support In Registering Your Medical Device In Myanmar?
Do you have any questions or need support to register your medical device in Myanmar? Provide details below to connect with our expertise.